Statistics of Oil Transportation by Rail Within the Russian Federation
The movement of goods by rail is the most important component of the flow of commodities in almost any market. To assist the storage and processing of data on the rail transportation of goods in Russia, Petromarket RG has created a specialised information and analysis system (IAS) known as “Semaphore-A”.
To which particular goods does the “Semaphore-A” system apply?
Generally speaking, “Semaphore-A” is designed to accumulate information on the transportation of oil, gas condensate, petroleum and gas chemical products, coal and coal-based products. At the request of the client, however, any particular cargo transported by the Russian railway system can be added to the above list.
What precisely is the “Semaphore-A” information and analysis system?
- “Semaphore-A” consists of an electronic database (DB) of shipments by rail and a software package providing access to the database for end users and for administration purposes.
- The “Semaphore-A” software package allows fresh data to be loaded into the database, random database queries to be drafted and executed, a set of standard reports to be generated and all requested data to be exported to Microsoft Excel.
- The database comprises a set of records, each of which contains all the information relating to a single, already-executed shipment of a given set of goods from a specific departure point to a specific destination point.
- Each record contains more than 50 individual fields; among these are the code and name of the shipment product group, the shipment weight, the names and codes of the departure and destination stations, the names and codes of the consignor and consignee, the dates of departure and delivery of the shipment and the transportation route (domestic, export, import, transit).
- The database contains information on all shipments by rail of the oil refining and oil and gas chemical products within the territory of the Russian Federation, including cross-border shipments, which have taken place since 2003 (totalling more than 30 million unique records).
- At the present time, information on the transportation of other goods is either not present in the database, or is only available with a shorter retrospective, but such data can be uploaded to the database at any time, according to the specific needs of the client.
What are the merits of the “Semaphore-A” system?
High degree of data accuracy
When loading primary data on rail shipments into the database, any duplicate or patently erroneous records are automatically filtered out.
Entries made in the database are automatically supplemented with fields containing, for example, the names of the entities dispatching the goods, the names of the entities receiving the goods, the names of the seaports from which the goods are exported, etc.
Ease of operation
IAS “Semaphore-A” has an intuitive interface, and users normally become completely familiar with system operation after just a few sessions.
Effective database query language
The database query language allows the creation of random selections of the database records.
Once the rights to use the local or network version of IAS “Semaphore-A” have been purchased, the client is provided with a start database. The client themselves determines the number of workstations in the network version and the composition of the start database (the product group package and the length of the retrospective). Installation of “Semaphore A” on the client’s PC can, if necessary, be done with the online support of the Petromarket Research Group. The client database can be updated monthly or weekly, depending on the needs of the client. Technical support for the system is made available by means of a “hot line” and new versions of the system are provided via updates. The initial cost of purchasing the rights to use IAS “Semaphore-A” is dependent upon the client’s choice of system configuration and the composition of the start database. Database updates and technical support are not included in the initial cost of the system.
How do I acquire the right to use IAS “Semaphore-A”?
Submit an application, indicating the following:
- which version of IAS “Semaphore-A” (network or local) you wish to purchase and how many workstations you require;
- which product group shipments are of interest to you;
- from which year you wish the information in your start database;
- your preferred database updating frequency – monthly or weekly.